The Best K-beauty Ingredients to Address Five Common Skin Concerns
The road to a glowing complexion isn’t always a smooth one. Dryness, excess oil, sensitivity, blemishes, and telltale signs of aging like fine lines and sagging are among the most common obstacles we face along the way. But knowing which skin care ingredients in the K-Beauty arsenal address each of these concerns can help steer your daily routine in the right direction. Here are some of K-Beauty’s tried-and-true ingredients to address five of the most common skin concerns!
- Dryness: Does your face feel tight, itchy, rough, scaly, or just plain dull? Dryness can be caused by environmental factors like the temperature and air moisture, hot or hard water, dead skin-cell build-up, and even from other products you use on the daily. Look for skin care products formulated with ingredients that replenish and retain, like moisture-sealing Sodium Hyaluronate, Polyglutamic Acid (PGA), which gives the skin’s natural hydrating abilities a helping hand, and Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, a botanical oil rich in emollient properties to quench thirsty skin.
- Excess Oil: If you’re seeing a greasy, shiny t-zone, clogged or enlarged pores, or a smattering of blemishes, oil is a likely culprit. This slick and sometimes waxy substance is the result of your sebaceous glands working overtime to produce sebum (which naturally protects your skin). Consider skin care products made with ingredients that mattify, purify, and exfoliate to soak up oil without stripping the skin. Not just beneficial for dryness, Sodium Hyaluronate also works wonders on oil slicks – its moisturizing properties can actually help slow down excess sebum production. Allanotin, a Comfrey plant extract with skin-balancing powers, and Niacinamide, a water-soluble form of Vitamin B3 that has shown to absorb sebum, are other ingredients to make yourself familiar with.
- Sensitivity: Is your skin ever ruddy, blotchy, itchy, or inflamed? Sensitive and reactive skin can have you seeing red, and allergies, skin conditions like eczema, rosacea, or contact dermatitis, even sun exposure can instigate sensitivity. Another benefit of Niacinamide is its ability to strengthen the skin’s protective lipid barrier, which can help protect sensitive skin. Centella Asiatica (also known as Gotu Kola and Pennywort), ultra-calming for inflammation, and Aloe Barbadensis Leaf, which soothes and cools skin, are also effective ingredients to bring skin back to a peaceful state.
- Blemishes: Whiteheads, blackheads, pimples, papules, pustules, and cysts – they’re all forms of acne, and always unwelcome visitors on your face. Hormones, oil, bacteria, and a pile-up of dead skin cells can all contribute to blemishes. Consider skin care products blended with Honey, nature’s potent antibacterial, and Houttuynia Cordata Extract, which has oil-controlling and pore-refining properties to bust those breakouts, as well as Ganoderma Lucidum Extract(Reishi Mushroom) and Glycyrrhiza Uralensis (Licorice) Root Extract to help even-out post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
- Signs of Aging: Loss of elasticity, fine lines, and wrinkles are all part of the natural aging process, and can also be a side effect from too much sun exposure – but there are still ingredients to help turn back the hands of time. Products that include ingredients like the skin-plumping wonders of Hydrolyzed Collagen, firming benefits of Opuntia Ficus-Indica Stem Extract, and resurfacing powers of Hippophae Rhamnoides Fruit Extract can help promote a more youthful appearance.
Now that you’re more familiar with some of K-Beauty’s ingredients, you can tailor your skin care routine to exactly what your skin needs along your skin care journey!
- The Aloisia Beauty Team