5 Simple Skin Care Tips For National Healthy Skin Month
November is National Healthy Skin Month, and it’s a great time to reflect on how important it is to pay extra attention to your skin – after all, it is your body’s largest organ! While there are so many ways to help your skin stay hydrated, healthy, protected, youthful, and glowing, these are our top 5 tips:
- Make the commitment to clean beauty. What you put on your skin is eventually absorbed into your body, so it’s critical to understand what ingredients are in your favorite skin care products. There are numerous studies citing that chemical agents do penetrate the skin and can negatively impact your health. National Healthy Skin Month is a great time to do an inventory check of your skin care arsenal for safe vs. hazardous ingredients. When in doubt, you can always check reliable resources like the Environmental Working Group’s (EWG) Skin Deep Making the swap from formulations that contain toxins, chemicals, preservatives, and other questionable ingredients to clean ingredients culled from nature and science will help you shine from the inside, out!
- Wear sunscreen daily. The first line of defense against skin cancer, sun damage, and aging is sunscreen – so apply one daily, even during those dreary winter days. The American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) recommends using a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher, and re-applying often. Many people tend to forget the importance of re-applying, and will regret it later in life when the signs of sun damage and aging emerge. Making sunscreen the last step of your morning skin care regimen and keeping an extra bottle in your purse or car are two simple ways to help your skin stay protected and healthy, all day long.
- Stick to a skin care routine. Maintaining a skin care regimen can be tough at first, but once you’re in the groove, it can make all the difference in your skin’s health, vitality, and radiance (not to mention, your overall sense of well-being). From starting the day fresh-faced to cleansing, treating, and moisturizing before bedtime, regular rituals like the time-honored 10-step Korean skin care routine can help address and correct today’s skin concerns, as well as keep your skin healthy and bright well into the future.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Studies have shown that drinking water has a positive impact on the skin, from the skin’s texture and physiology, to premature aging, to reducing stress, to flushing out toxins. In addition to your daily water intake, hydrating facial mists are a refreshing way to quench your skin’s thirst. Our own DEEP HYDRATING Aloe Gel Mist includes a double dose of aloe, Aloe Water and Aloe Extract, plus hydrating Hydrolyzed Collagen, healing Centella Asiatica, and other clean natural and science-made ingredients for instant hydration, anytime and anyplace.
- Check yourself. A mirror is actually one of the most important tools for your skin. It’s critical to be aware of new or changing moles, freckles, and suspicious marks when it comes to healthy skin. The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends visiting the dermatologist at least once per year. If you haven’t already, National Healthy Skin Month a great reminder to schedule that appointment – your skin is at its palest during the winter months, making it easier to spot anything that might be concerning.
Instead of taking your skin for granted, take the time to tend to your skin – not just during National Healthy Skin Month, but 365 days a year. Your skin will thank you for it!
-The Aloisia Beauty Team